Sunday, July 29, 2007

Lamp on Queen


Customs House in Brisbane, completed in 1889, is an icon in the city and it has a colourful history. In Customs from Queen, posted a little while ago, I mentioned that I was considering embarking on a small project to capture different aspects of this most magnificent of our buildings. Well I am considering no longer, and this post is the first of my series to present one subject in many different lights (so to speak). This shot is taken from the other side of the road, where I noticed that the decorative street lamp had a top that echoed the dome atop the main subject. I could not resist using this as my first post because it is the dome that most immediately identify with the structure, and I have tried to capture the essence of its shape but use a shallow depth of field so not to reveal all of the detail in one frame. However, I think that this still gives a hint of the building's decorative style and presence. (OM4, Zuiko 135mm f3.5, f5.6, HP5 @ 400)

2 comments:

Martin said...

Boyd, this is a very interesting image in which you have exploited depth of field (the lack of it that is) very well. The out of focus background contrasts nicely with the sharpness of the foreground adding a great sense of dimensionality to the picture. Also, even before I read your comments, I too immediately noticed the spherical similarity between the lamp and the dome. 10/10 for your compositional skill regarding communication of this detail

Nicole said...

Hello Boyd. Definitely saw the 'mini dome' immediately! Wonderful shot with the soft focus backdrop of Customs House perfectly setting the scene. Even though the lamp is from a different era, the echoes of design are obvious and your clever composition and focal choice helps establish the strength of that.